stayfree - Stay Free! | March 21

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | March 21
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:01:00 -0500

Man, this war stuff is so depressing. All I seem to read about in the business press is how much advertising will be lost. Many corporations plan to keep commercials off the air for the first few days of bombing... after which they will trickle back in as circumstance warrant. What I can never figure out is -- If it's tasteless to run commercials the first week of bombing why isn't it tasteless them the second or third week?

Everyone expects the networks to return to business as usual soon. No one wants to be tacky but, hey, the show must go on. So ABC will broadcast the Academy Awards as planned but the celebrities will be sure to "dress down." Even that small concession has some fans riled. An editorial on the front of Oscarwatch.com reads:

<< It is shameful to deny us (the fans) that only opportunity into the dream factory just because some celebrities feel unease about the situation in Iraq - there is always strife going on somewhere in the Globe and this one is not more important than the others. It is cowardly to deny people enjoyment of that brief moment of fantasy -- which is what the Oscars are about. >>>

I hear echoes of this sentiment from students complaining about cancelled school trips, from sports fans worried about the fate of ball games. If it were up to me, I'd cancel it all: the commercials, the Oscars, the ball games, school outings, the spring break trips -- even if there's no apparent reason to. Traffic in Manhattan is said to be a nightmare now. Good! I say barricade the streets, forbid right turns on red, bring traffic to a standstill!

These petty annoyances are all some of us have to keep from forgetting what our government is doing in Iraq. We need to feel uncomfortable. Every hour, every day.

::::::::

WHAT IS VICTORIA'S SECRET?

I recently had the pleasure of sitting in on a "contagious media" course taught by Jonah Peretti, co-creator of the very fine BlackPeopleLoveUs.com. As part of a class project, some of his students presented this site, which some of you may appreciate: http://www.whatisvictoriassecret.com

If you're looking for photos of scantily clad women loosing control of their bowels, you're in luck! Lots of vomiting, too. This parody probably won't be up for long, so if the link stops working, chalk up another victory for the trademark police. (the bastards!)

::::::::::::

SCHMIO AWARDS IN NEW YORK ON APRIL 10

On Thursday, April 10, New York University shall present the 6th Annual Schmio Awards, wherein critics, comics, and carping eggheads (including yours truly) will present awards for the worst in commercialized culture: in-your-face war-marketing, promotional carpet-bombing, take-no-prisoners corporate propaganda,
and plain old-fashioned jingoism.

Presenters & performers include:

(MC) Mark Crispin Miller
Carrie McLaren of Stay Free! magazine
Gulf War Vet Charles Sheehan-Miles
Chelsea and Jonah Peretti of BlackPeopleLoveUs.com
La Lutta New Media Collective
Radical Cheerleaders from the Children's Media Project
Robin Andersen

and more!

Sakland Auditorium, 7:30 pm
421 First Avenue (at East 24th Street)
Tickets are $5 for students, $10 general admission. Arrive early because it always sells out. For more info: Schmios2003 AT yahoo.com

::::::::::::

In light of the protests going on tomorrow, here are some of my picks:

TOP FIVE SIGNS (SEEN AT THE 2/15 NYC PROTEST)

* How did our oil get under their water?
* Have another pretzel, asshole
* A village in Texas has lost its idiot
* Re-elect Carter [ one of my favorites 'cos it was mine!]
* Another Feitelberg against the War [ my friend Amy Feitelberg ]

happy weekend,
carrie

  • Stay Free! | March 21, Carrie McLaren, 03/21/2003