stayfree - Stay Free! | 31 July 2001

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Stay Free! | 31 July 2001
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:36:26 -0500

Subscribe and get the new issue of Stay Free!
100% unavailable online! ($10 / 3 issues)
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/order.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hello,

Many thanks to SF subscribers and Onion staffers who came
out for "field day" last weekend. Stay Free! ended up
beating the Onion 4-3 (or so), in part due to our team's
stellar crabwalking.

* * * *

Stay Free! isn't just about "bad news," so when a
tobacco company is publicly attacked for marketing
dog urine, you can count on us to let you know.

The people behind the "Truth" youth antismoking campaign
have unleased a new batch of commercials. In one radio
spot, a prankster phones a tobacco company (in this case,
Lorillard) and offers to sell him "quality dog urine."
Confronting a confused receptionist, the caller tells
her that "dog pee is full of urea, and that's one of
the chemicals you guys put in cigarettes."

Lorillard is (surprise surprise) trying to stop that ad,
which is always a good sign. (The only anti-tobacco ads
that tobacco companies protest are those that might
actually work.)

Listen in:

"Dog Walker" (the urine ad)
http://play.rbn.com/?dowjones/wsj/demand/wsj_vid/american_legacy_dogwalker.rm

"Ammonia" (even better)
http://play.rbn.com/?dowjones/wsj/demand/wsj_vid/american_legacy_ammonia.rm

Truth TV spots:
http://www.wholetruth.com

* * * *

You-can't-make-this-stuff-up Dept.:

Philip Morris recently sent a report to the Czech Republic
suggesting that the country could save well over $1 million
in healthcare and pension costs due to smoking -- because
people who smoke die early.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4222888,00.html

Philip Morris later apologizes:
("All of us at Philip Morris, no matter where we work,
are extremely sorry")
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4229037,00.html

* * * *

Speaking of Philip Morris and the Czech Republic, the
company recently shot a commercial about its
"philanthropic" efforts handing out Kraft macaroni &
cheese in Kosovo. This was no piddling documentary, however.
The dramatic, 30-second saga was filmed in the Czech
Republic because "we wanted access to plenty of extras
that look like they come from that part of the world." Also,
the location "had to be big enough to accommodate a huge,
fake refugee camp (built weeks in advance of the 4-day
shoot)." As the Wall Street Journal reports, the production
costs of this commercial alone dwarfs the amount Philip
Morris spent on actual food donation.
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/philipmorris.html

* * * *

By now some of you have heard about the two college-bound
goons who successfully sold themselves to a credit card
company (www.chrisandluke.com). And now there's a couple
auctioning off corporate "naming rights" to their baby.
Anyway, this is as good a time as any to announce that I
am auctioning off the naming rights to my colon. (it's
been causing me a problems lately, and I'd like a company
to blame.) If you know someone at a firm that may be interested,
let them know...but they'll have to pay big for the privilege
of naming my colon.

-- carrie mclaren

NOTE: If you are receiving this email and are a PAID subscriber,
you are on the wrong list. Email me and I'll switch you.

  • Stay Free! | 31 July 2001, Carrie McLaren, 07/31/2001