sm-users - [SM-Users] LVM root?

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: SourceMage Users Mailing List <SM-Users AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Users] LVM root?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:47:17 -0500 (CDT)

SourceMage Fans,

I discovered SMGL a couple of years ago, and ran it for a while. I think I suffer from a Linux Distro form of ADD. Recently I've done a lot of distro hopping. I even recently ran a couple of non-Linux OSes for a while, OpenSolaris and FreeBSD. But I should have known I couldn't give up on Linux.

I forget exactly why I switched from SMGL and tried other distros back then. I think one reason was probably adding a second hard drive to my PC. I gave a few distros that handled root on LVM "out of the box" a try.

But, I keep feeling the pull of SMGL. I could live without having root on LVM, but prefer to have all the space on my drives available as one LVM lv if possible. Is there currently a way to install SMGL on an LVM root partition? I found a couple of pages in the SMGL wiki. The first one details an install method:

http://www.sourcemage.org/Install_Source_Mage_LVM2

but was last updated in 2006, and has the following link:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/sourcemage/iso/special/smgl-0510-lvm2.iso.bz2

pointing to an iso image which doesn't appear to exist any longer. The other page:

http://www.sourcemage.org/LVM2-on-root_Guide

just says "Coming soon!" but was last updated about a year ago.

Is root on LVM currently possible with SMGL?

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX

  • [SM-Users] LVM root?, Kevin Monceaux, 09/22/2008