sm-users - [SM-Users] Xorg modular finally merged

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Xorg modular finally merged
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:40:27 +0200

So I have finally merged xorg modular from devel-xorg-modular branch into
master.

What changed from the last message. Well with stable sorcery 1.14.1 the
decision has been made to completely bypass xorg-profile and deprecate
spells
directly into xorg-server so that at the moment is the only spell for it.

I'm suggesting this merge lay in test for a month to fix any really obvious
issues that might be found.

Suggested upgrade path(and really the only sane one):

first update your sorcery to stable 1.14.1
run sorcery system-update
answer the tons of questions...

Things to note:
old xorg.conf and other config files are still usable but some things
changed:
input devices: keyboard -> kbd driver rename

You wont automatically get the full load of various X apps like xmodmap,
xterm and so on. If you want those you'll have to cast them separately.

Drivers:
xorg-server spell will ask you for various drivers and fonts. The defaults
are set so that it will install the more common drivers which you can always
later remove. To figure out what drivers are available try:
gaze section xorg-driver

To figure what drivers are installed try:
gaze installed | grep -E "xf86-input|xf86-video"

If I missed something I'm sure someone will correct me.

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C