sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Automounting with udev

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Automounting with udev
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:58:29 +0300

On Monday 09 October 2006 00:03, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 11:29:18PM +0300, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> > I've written a HOWTO about how to automount USB memory devices using udev
> > [0]. I think I can still improve it a bit (like if I find a mount option
> > to write data directly which would eliminate the need to umount
> > manually), but it's pretty OK already.
>
> Check out sync and dirsync in mount(8). This severely impacts
> performance, though.

Thanks.

I updated the page. I removed unnecessary stuff (didn't realize until now
that
usbfs isn't relevant to usb sticks) and added the 'sync' option. On my
box 'sync' causes changes to get written instantly, although my stick is
vfat-formatted and 'man mount' says 'sync' isn't respected by fat...
Nevertheless is works.

One thing I need to find out still is if ext3-formatted sticks also work with
my settings. But that's tomorrow's business.

--
Juuso Alasuutari
[[ Source Mage GNU/Linux ]]