sm-users - [SM-Users] netconf MAC setting change

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] netconf MAC setting change
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 02:20:35 +0300

This concerns all those who use the test grimoire, have udev installed, and
have set the MAC field in netconf in order to have persistent network
interface naming.

At the moment, udev spell's mac2name helper script uses the MAC variable in
netconf settings to bind interface names to devices. While this mostly works,
it isn't a good thing, because the MAC field is used to also _change_ the
hardware address. (I didn't know it back when I added this functionality,
duh.) With some (older?) network devices, putting anything in the MAC field
will produce borkage.
To mend this, I have added a whole new field in netconf called DEVICE_MAC. It
will be used purely for storing the hardware address, so that the DEVICE_MAC
variable can be read by external scripts such as mac2name.

A new netconf version which includes DEVICE_MAC is now in test. I urge all
those affected to update netconf, and copy the address from MAC to
DEVICE_MAC. But don't remove the address from MAC yet, because I still
haven't updated the udev spell to use DEVICE_MAC. I'll do that after about a
week so that everyone has enough time to adjust.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

--
Juuso Alasuutari
[[ Source Mage GNU/Linux ]]

  • [SM-Users] netconf MAC setting change, Juuso Alasuutari, 06/11/2006