sm-users - [SM-Users] WARNING: boot order/init.d changes test grimoire

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] WARNING: boot order/init.d changes test grimoire
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:28:01 -0600

I've just integrated some pretty significant changes to the init.d and
module-init-tools spells in test. These change the boot order from
'mountall.sh', 'modutils' to a new 'mountroot.sh', 'modutils',
'mountall.sh'. These are necessary to get better support for LVM2 and to
allow general use of other module-based filesystems. See bugs 9177 and
10146.

These changes have been in devel for the last couple of weeks and tested on
several systems without an issue, however I wanted to mention them here
since changes like this have potential to make systems unbootable. If
you're a paranoid person you may want to make sure you're around when these
updates hit your system(s) so you can make sure nothing breaks for you.

Basically the next time you 'scribe update test' and 'sorcery queue' you
should see that init.d and module-init-tools want to update. They have
UP_TRIGGERS to make sure they cast together. They'll each prompt to
enable/set as default a couple of new providers (mountroot.sh for root_fs
and modutils for modules); they should default to 'y' and you definitely
want to say 'y'.

Once this is done you should reboot if possible to make sure nothing in
your system's boot process is broken. If you can't reboot yet you may want
to just make sure at your next reboot you're watching it (again, if you're
paranoid).

The one known caveat is that if you just do 'cast init.d' (instead of eg
'cast --queue') you should make sure you use 'cast -c init.d', otherwise
the init scripts may not get enabled correctly if you already have the
existing version installed and it just gets resurrected.

If you have any questions or issues please let me know.

  • [SM-Users] WARNING: boot order/init.d changes test grimoire, Jeremy Blosser (emrys), 03/12/2006