sm-users - [SM-Users] Please help with 2.6.14.2

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Tanel Tammet <tammet AT staff.ttu.ee>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Please help with 2.6.14.2
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:23:59 +0200

Hi,

I have been using SMGL for almost two years: so far I have managed to upgrade
stuff, but now I' ve run into a serious problem with the kernel. I am running
2.6.11 and decided to upgrade to to 2.6.14.2. I know that the dev filesystem
has been removed from 2.6.13 and above - and perhaps this is my problem -
but I cannot find a cure.

The symptoms: the 2.6.14 kernel comes up until it has managed to find the keyboard,
touchpad and mouse (succesfully mounting fs readonly) but refuses to go any further.
It does not freeze - ctrl alt del works, each time I remove the mouse it says that
the mouse has been removed, the cursor blinks happily - but it won' t go any further.
Just before finding the keyboard it warns that it did not manage to create or use
the initial console or terminal.

Needless to say, I have experimented a lot with various config options: using my
previous config, using default, using different combinations etc: does not make
a difference.

I am running ordinary intel on a Fujitu Siemens laptop and my SMGL is
otherwise up to date, but the /etc stuff and lilo have no been upgraded for a while.

In addition to the obvious suspicion that I have mislooked something in the
kernel config, I suspect that the issue might have something to do with my lilo
conf or fstab: I have attached both (they are pretty old).

------------- lilo.conf ----------------------

boot=/dev/discs/disc0/disc
root=/dev/discs/disc0/part7
prompt
# lba32
delay=128
timeout=128
install=boot-bmp.b
bitmap=/boot/boot.bmp
bmp-table=227p,233p,1,7
bmp-colors=13,0,,11,0,13
bmp-timer=76,30,11,0
map=/boot/map
image = /boot/vmlinubz-2.6.11.6
label = linux-2.6.11.6
read-only
append=" devfs=mount"
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14.2
label = linux-2.6.14.2
read-only
image = /boot/vmlinubz-2.6.9
label = linux-2.6.9
read-only
append=" devfs=mount"
image = /boot/vmlinubz-2.4.26
label = linux-2.4.26
read-only
append=" devfs=mount"
image = /boot/vmlinubz-2.4.21
label = linux-2.4.21
read-only
append=" devfs=mount"
other=/dev/discs/disc0/part1
label=Windows

---------------------- fstab -----------------
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devfs /dev devfs defaults 0 0
#tmpfs /var/lock tmpfs defaults 0 0
#tmpfs /var/run tmpfs defaults 0 0
#tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,size=256m,nr_inodes=64m 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0

/dev/discs/disc0/part7 / ext3 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/discs/disc0/part6 none swap defaults 0 2
/dev/discs/disc0/part5 /mnt/windows vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9960 noauto,users,ro,exec 0 0

There is a side issue which - perhaps - has something to do with
the problem. Namely, I cannot run mount -f in mountall.sh in a normal
way: mount just crashes, with the error caught by glibc. Instead, I have
to use the following ugly hack:

---------------- normal mountall.sh snippet -----------------

echo "Mounting root file system read/write..."
{
mount -n -o remount,rw / &&
echo > /etc/mtab &&
mount -f -o remount,rw /
} || exit 1

----------- mountall.sh snippet which works for me ----------

echo "Mounting root file system read/write, as modified by Tanel..."
{
mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/discs/disc0/part7 / &&
cp /etc/mtab.initial /etc/mtab # &&
#echo > /etc/mtab &&
#mount -f -o remount,rw /dev/discs/disc0/part7 /
} || exit 1

Any ideas are most welcome.

Regards,

Tanel Tammet