sm-users - [SM-Users] A little announcment from your friendly games guru

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] A little announcment from your friendly games guru
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:52:17 +0200

Hi all

I hope this to be one of many such announcements in the near-far future.
A new game has been added to the games grimoire that has it's roots
completly in the commercial windows gaming platform.

The game is Warzone 2100.

The game was petitioned online for source code to be released and
on December 6th 2004 it was under the GPL. Since then it has been ported
to linux and is acctually in working playing order. I hope this will become
a trend for others to follow. So far I know of a few other then id
software games that acctually have the source released.

The other that I know is Jagged Alliance 2 but sadly still no linux port.
Although JA2 had a linux version the source for the linux version wasn't
released so the porting effort has to be redone.

And FreeSpace 1/2 is another one but the graphics and sound were not released
so the original game data is still needed to play.

If anyone knows other commercial games that have had their source released and
have a linux port or there are plans for one let me know and I'll look into it
more closely.

But let us not forget the other Free games out there.
Like bzflag for which there is a server running managed by
BearPerson and myself on bzflag.dtdm.net:5154.

Also a new game is being developed in the style of Flashback/Metroid called
Windstille which needs help from ppl that know how to code/make graphics/story
ideas and so on... I invite you to join
irc://irc.freenode.net:6667/#windstille
or visit the wiki http://windstille.berlios.de/ and find something to help out
with.

Also I will most likely start weekly reports on the games grimoire from new
games to version updates to bug fixes.

New games will have their description and maybe a link or two to a review
added.

That's about all from me...

Happy gaming

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

http://ruskie.dtdm.org/blog/

  • [SM-Users] A little announcment from your friendly games guru, Andrew "ruskie" Levstik, 07/10/2005