sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] problem with qt-x11

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] problem with qt-x11
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:14:04 -0800

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 2:16 am, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> Eric Sandall a écrit :
> > Could you please stop replying to me personally and use the list? This is
> > getting a bit annoying as I've asked you to do that three times now.
>
> I don't know if it is standard, but all mailing list i'm subscribed on
> set the "Reply-To:" header to the list. It's not done here, so, hiting
> the reply button will only reply to the author of the post. That might
> be the problem.
>
> I manually edit the destination address each time... quite annoying too.
>
> Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO team

From the Mailman documentation:

reply_goes_to_list (general): Where are replies to list messages directed?
Poster is strongly recommended for most mailing lists.

This option controls what Mailman does to the Reply-To: header in messages
flowing through this mailing list. When set to Poster, no Reply-To: header is
added by Mailman, although if one is present in the original message, it is
not stripped. Setting this value to either This list or Explicit address
causes Mailman to insert a specific Reply-To: header in all messages,
overriding the header in the original message if necessary (Explicit address
inserts the value of reply_to_address).

There are many reasons not to introduce or override the Reply-To: header. One
is that some posters depend on their own Reply-To: settings to convey their
valid return address. Another is that modifying Reply-To: makes it much more
difficult to send private replies. See `Reply-To' Munging Considered Harmful
[0] for a general discussion of this issue. See Reply-To Munging Considered
Useful [1] for a dissenting opinion.

Some mailing lists have restricted posting privileges, with a parallel list
devoted to discussions. Examples are `patches' or `checkin' lists, where
software changes are posted by a revision control system, but discussion
about the changes occurs on a developers mailing list. To support these types
of mailing lists, select Explicit address and set the Reply-To: address below
to point to the parallel list.

[0] http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
[1] http://i.am.haze.cx/mirrors/reply-to-useful.htm

I leave it as suggested by Mailman, as Justin Rocha did when he was handling
it. Most e-mail clients (if not all) have a "reply to list" option, which
will setup the new message with the desired addresses in the correct
locations.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)