sm-users - [SM-Users] Call for Apprentices!

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Call for Apprentices!
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:43:59 -0700

Hear ye, hear ye, the Source Mage GNU/Linux Grimoire Team[0] (and the other
teams as well, for a full list, see our published works[1]) is looking for
apprentices to help in our daily tasks. These tasks will be simple and any
personage willing to learn shall be capable of fulfilling such tasks within a
mere hour a week, if they so choose. These tasks shall include, but not be
limited to:

I) Peruse the vast world known to all as the "Internet" (a.k.a. "World Wide
Web") for newer editions of spells written down in any of the grimoires[2],
filling them with possibilities.

I.a) Test the new versions of spells in your own codex, see if they work well
with the other spells in your codex, at least the ones you use.

I.b) If the aforementioned spell does indeed couple with your codex, then
write us a report (you may be brief) and file it in our tracker of bugs[3]
against the appropriate section of the grimoire from whence the older version
came. Our gurus are available[4] to ponder your questions, but be not rude to
them, for they have many responsibilities which may not allow them the time to
fully help you with your problem.

II) Enjoy the wonders of our bug tracking system and look for problems for
which you can help, then submit a patch[5] which fixes the problem. Feel not
afraid to ask for help, either in the report itself, or via some other
communication[4].

II.b) (or not II.b? ;)) Some will already be marked for you by one of our
gurus
with "QUICKFIX" in the subject, you may want to search for those if you cannot
find any which you feel you are capable of handling.

III) Look around for new spells that would be of interest for you to put in
our grimoires and try them out. You might be surprised at how easy some spells
are to create. Again, as always, our gurus are available for help[4].

IV) Gaze into the bug tracking system for bugs which have been CLOSED, but
not VERIFIED or RESOLVED, and test the fix to see if it works. If it worked,
mark the report as VERIFIED, and perhaps add a little to the report saying
that
you tested it.

V) File new bug reports with problems you have found on your own system,
but
first check to make sure it hasn't already be filed, duplicates only take up
more of our gurus' time.

VI) Let the High Priest (see below) know if you are going to help (not just
if you're thinking about it, he needs to know how many apprentices he /will/
have, not how many he /might/ have sometime in the future, though it's still
nice to hear from people, so forget what I said, e-mail him with whatever
tidbit you want to say about SMGL, or talk to the Evermost High Priest
(Sandall), he also likes to hear what you have to say about SMGL, whether it
be
good or bad, we want to know), that's how we improve, as well with users, both
experienced and non, stepping up to become apprentice. Who knows, perhaps
someday /you/ will be the High Priest (no, that's not the Official Title, just
having fun here ;))!

VII) Join in on discussions on IRC[4], mailing lists[6], and the forums[7].
Feel free to add constructive criticism, new ideas, or just blab with all the
other blabbers we've collected[8]. :)

IX) Convert other non-users to our cause. Roommates, friends, co-workers,
etc.
We're an open group that is improved greatly as more diversity flows into our
magic.

-sandalle
Project Lead
NGA member
Porter of the SPARCy Ways
Master Wizard of the Grimoire
Reverend and High Priest of all Source
Knight of the Second Circle of Source.
Founder of the original GAG
etc.

[0] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Grimoire+Log
[1] Sorry, just watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. ;)
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=The+Source+Mage+Developers
[2] test, stable, z-rejected, and games
[3] http://bugs.sourcemage.org/ , requires an account to modify/create entries
[4] http://www.sourcemage.org/resources/contact/ , as well as [1]
[5] Created with the `diff` program (`diff -u <old file> <new file> >
<file>.patch`). If you want to create a patch for all the files in a
directory,
make a copy of the old directory before modifying it (say "dir.old"), then
modify the current "dir", then run `diff -urpN <dir.old> <dir> > <dir>.patch`.
[6] http://www.sourcemage.org/resources/lists/
[7] http://forums.sourcemage.org/
[8] Yes, we have quite a collection. We even gave them their own channels,
#grimoier-gurus and #smgl-politics. ;)

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61

  • [SM-Users] Call for Apprentices!, Eric Sandall, 07/13/2004