sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] List name

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: ""Jimmy Yen(顏孝杰)"" <jimmy AT yen.tp>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] List name
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:22:01 +0800

Andrew wrote:

<mindless rant>
the most striking thing with this to me is that our sm-users list
is actually known as sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org, whereas squirrelmail's
sm-users list is sm-users AT squirrelmail.org (or whatever) correct? So
the only real conflict is that abbreviating it with only the 'user name'
(in this case sm-users). So unless theres some caveat in the spec that
says user names must be unique across _all_ hosts on the internet, why
bother changing it? It seems silly to waste our time discussing changing
our mailing list name because some other software uses a similiar
naming scheme, on a /different/ host, and further if i was j random
smgl'er, i'd be pretty annoyed to have to change all my mailing list
abbreviations from sm-[a-z]+ to smgl-[a-z]+, because for some reason
sm has already been taken. Just to drive it a little further home, I
could setup some psuedo software project on my home machine, with the
abbreviation smgl (for sincere mathmatical and graphing ludite) and have
smgl-users AT t.armory.com, do we then change the name of all our mailing
lists (further confusing users) because our prefix has to be unique? no we
dont, lists.ibiblio.org != squirrelmail.org i think its as simple as that
</mindless rant>

-Andrew

Erm, yeah. Just a random idea. Never mind ;)