sm-users - [SM-Users] Re: [SM-Grimoire] WARNING *** Module-init-tools *** WARNING

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: Source Mage - Users <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>, sm-admin <sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Source Mage - Grimoire <sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Re: [SM-Grimoire] WARNING *** Module-init-tools *** WARNING
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 03:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

Let's move discussion on this to sm-grimoire. I have added a reply-to
header approprately.

Well, it was half my fault at least since I didn't understand the
module-init-tools that it modutils would dispel itself and the new
module-init-tools would actually require the old binaries... part of the
problem was that in my testing, I had moved the .old binaries over already
from before the conflicts was added to both spells.

So, after hgg and I discussed this for a bit, I modified module-init-tools
in devel to be much nicer. It will compile modutils based on a
CONFIGURE option now within itself so that it the old modutils gets
tracked by the new module-init-tools. Any other way would have broken
cast --fix because of the way make moveold works in module-init-tools.
When we move all the way to 2.6, people can say no to the configure option
and just have the new module-init-tools binaries without the .old binaries
laying around and to give the user a bit of choice. devel sorcery then
got the sustained for modutils moved out, again, but please do remember if
you dispel modutils, to cast module-init-tools.

Seth

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Hamish Greig wrote:

> WARNING
> module-init-tools does not conflict with modutils if your kernel version is
> <2.5.75
> If your are still running 2.4.XX kernel then module-init-tools should
> actually
> depend upon modutils, I have reverted a recent change to grimoire that had
> these two conflicting and added the depends.
> I am sorry i didn't do my research first and hope no-one else got stuck with
> an un-usable system while they figured this out.
> If you are running a 2.4.XX kernel AND modutils was dispelled by sorcery(or
> you manually) AND if you have rebuilt your kernel (or manually messed around
> in /usr/src/linux) then your module symbol dependancies will be shot to
> hell.
> You WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LOAD ANY MODULES on reboot!
> To ensure correct behaviour i would suggest reinstalling module-init-tools
> (and modutils, "its depends") and then also recasting your kernel to correct
> all the /sbin/genksyms generated entries in
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/*
> Sorry for the mess up, I too have been very much inconvenienced by this too.
> Hamish
> Terminable meddler...
> --
> Do You SMGL!?
> # Linux so advanced it may as well be magic!
> # http://www.sourcemage.org/
> # The onestop guide to computer Defenestration!

- --
Seth Alan Woolley <seth at tautology.org>, SPAM/UCE is unauthorized
Key id 7BEACC7D = 2978 0BD1 BA48 B671 C1EB 93F7 EDF4 3CDF 7BEA CC7D
Full Key at seth.tautology.org and pgp.mit.edu. info: www.gnupg.org