sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] tar and bzip2

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] tar and bzip2
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:12:26 -0800

have you tried y instead of j?

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:46:22 -0800 (PST)
From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
To: <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Jason Majors said:
> With other distros I can use tar like "tar jxvf file.tbz". According to
> the tar man page, it should work with the sourcemage tar, but I get an
> error that j is an invalid option.
> Do I need to change something to get this to happen correctly?
>
> Thanks.

Try reading 'info tar', I believe it says to use 'y' instead of 'j'. The
tar people do not update their man pages very well (this is what I heard,
so take it with a grain of salt) and have not updated their info to
reflect the change to 'y'. The other distros, also, may not be running
the latest version of tar, which has this change, or they may patch tar to
keep the 'j' option there.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--