sm-spell-submit - Re: [SM-Spell-Submit]New spell HELP: seahorse2 [section: crypt]

sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Submit list for new spells

  • From: Jason Flatt <jasonflatt AT wizard.com>
  • To: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>, sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>, Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Spell-Submit]New spell HELP: seahorse2 [section: crypt]
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:22:32 +0000

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 11:14 pm, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> Folks,
> Ok, this is my first spell and I' m having some probs.
> First off, since the seahorse2 project is in the same directory as
> the seahorse project the sorcecode tar is named sehorse2-version but the
> directory is seahorse. So i kept the $Spell = seahorse while adding a '2'
> to the source-drectory.

Actually, when extracted, creates a directory named seahorse2-0.3.7. Using
tar xzf gives you that. I've attached your spell with some modifications. I
only went so far as I don't have GNOME2 installed, and there were several
spells that needed to be cast before I could cast seahorse2. :)

As the "2" is a part of the extracted directory name, I made it a part of the
name. Also, the "-1" at the end of the version is not a part of the
directory name, so I took it off of the version and manually added it to the
${SOURCE} variable.

Also, I added {} around the variable names. It's not always necessary, but
it
helps bash define what part is the variable name and what part is not. I do
it mostly out of habit, but it's especially useful when you have variables
like your and my SOURCE variables.

> Is this the correct way to handle this?
>
> How do i generate a MD5 sum?

Uncompress the file and run md5sum on the tarred file:

1) gunzip seahorse2-0.3.7-1.tar.gz
2) md5sum seahorse2-0.3.7-1.tar

> Why won't this spell cast? (it hands at saving dependancies?
>

> Thanx in advance for the help folks,
>
> Bearcat M. Sandor

It wouldn't cast for me because of dependency issues. I had to add a couple
that you did not have. I also removed gtk+2 as it was a depends for one of
the ones I added. It's possible there are other changes that need to be
made, but this was as far as I was willing to go.

One final note. When you compress several files into one and use a command
like 'tar xyf' (or 'tar xjf'), you don't then need to run bzip on it as tar
does that with the 'y' (or 'j') switch. I usually change to the parent
directory and then execute something like the following:

tar xyf seahorse2-spell.tar.bz2 seahorse2/

(Everyone always has a 'v' in there for verbose, but I don't like to see all
the files scrolling down the screen.)

I hope this was helpful for you.

--
Jason Flatt