sm-spell-submit - [SM-Spell-Submit]New Spell: kino

sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Submit list for new spells

  • From: Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net>
  • To: sm-spell-submit <sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Spell-Submit]New Spell: kino
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 08:50:15 -0600

Kino is a non-linear DV editor for GNU/Linux. It features excellent integration with IEEE-1394 for capture, VTR control, and recording back to the camera. It captures video to disk in RawDV and AVI format, in both type-1 DV and type-2 DV (separate audio stream) encodings.

You can load multiple video clips, cut and paste portions of video/audio, and save it to an edit decision list (SMIL XML format). Most edit and navigation commands are mapped to equivalent vi key commands. Also, Kino can load movies and export the composite movie in a number of formats: DV over IEEE 1394, Raw DV, DV AVI, still frames, WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and DivX. Still frame export uses Imlib1, which has built-in support for PPM, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, and whatever your ImageMagick installation supports. MP3 requires lame. Ogg Vorbis requires oggenc. MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and DivX require mjpegtools 1.6.0. RPM and Debian packages as well as tarballs are available.
Current release
The current release introduces an experimental fx module, which is accessed from the FX tab in the main window. It provides some basic audio and video fx such as importing, filters and transitions for audio and video. It also provides some basic plug-in functionality to allow third party extension.

Currently, Kino does not support other video file formats or encodings. It does not support multiple layers or tracks of video and audio. We plan to implement most of these features, but first we chose to focus on the basics of IEEE-1394, video, audio, and file input and output. We place a lot of emphasis on quality, stability, performance, and workflow.

  • [SM-Spell-Submit]New Spell: kino, Robin Cook, 11/16/2002