sm-spell-submit - [SM-Spell-Submit]New/Updated Spells: MPlayer and support spells [section: video]

sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Submit list for new spells

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Spell-Submit]New/Updated Spells: MPlayer and support spells [section: video]
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:39:07 +0200

Here is a new spell for MPlayer, along with support spells MPlayer-gui
and MPlayer-fonts.

Why a new spell?
The old one was missing about a million optional dependencies, the BUILD
file wasn't working too well on failed compiles, ...

Ok, why the support spells?
I moved the gui-skin installation and the font installations to their
own spells, so the files don't have to be downloaded if they're not
needed. (They are about 700k, not much? Think about the poor modem users
out there :)

The MPlayer spell now has two new CONFIGURE options, one for joystick
support (don't know if anyone would want this, but it's an option of
mplayer), the other one for the brand new freetype2 support.
With the freetype2 you don't need the old mplayer font files anymore
(hence the move to MPlayer-fonts), instead you can use any Truetype or
Type1 font you like, just put it in ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf (yes, even if
it's a type1 font the extension is .ttf, don't ask me why :).

The configuration files have been moved to /etc/mplayer (/usr/etc isn't
even allowed by the FHS iirc), and they won't be overwritten if you
change them, just installed if they're not present. The spell now
installs a sane default config to /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf, so mplayer
doesn't try to use mga_vid device when you don't configure it :)

One caveat about this spell:
You should dispel MPlayer before casting the new one.

Reason for this:
During the cast of MPlayer, at the prepare_install stage, the old
MPlayer gets dispelled. This will delete the gui skin and the fonts that
may have previously been installed by MPlayer-gui and MPlayer-fonts.

Why didn't i put something in to prevent this?
Simple, i don't want to have code that is used only once lying around in
the spell forever. Besides, a cast --fix MPlayer should fix it, so it's
not really that much of an issue.

Ok, hope it works fine everywhere, if not, mail me or tell me on IRC.

P.S.: swoolley told me on IRC he would add it to the grimoire, so it
should be in the tarball probably tomorrow.

--
Arwed
aka alley_cat