sm-spell-submit - [SM-Spell-Submit]New spell: OpenOffice-binary [Section: z-rejected]

sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Submit list for new spells

  • From: "Chris Brien" <christopher_brien AT hotmail.com>
  • To: sm-spell-submit AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: sgl-spell-submit AT sourcemage.org, Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu
  • Subject: [SM-Spell-Submit]New spell: OpenOffice-binary [Section: z-rejected]
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:18:53 +0100

After wrestling with the OpenOffice source for some weeks, I decided to give up and use the precompiled binary. Even that needed some major hacking!

1) The "setup" binary doesn't do anything if LD_PRELOAD is set. This means we can't use installwatch at all.

2) The "install" script is broken in a few major ways, with the way it creates symlinks in a bin directory.
2a) It uses the wrong variable - the one it uses includes spaces, causing it to fail to do anything.
2b) It expects a "bin" directory at the same level as the application installation directory. This isn't allowed by the FHS (unless of course, you're an XWindow implementation :) )
2c) It attempts to create the same symlink three times, instead of creating correct symlinks to the applications.

Bearing the above in mind, you still want to use this program??

Chris
aka zero_the_hero