sm-sorcery - Re: [SM-Sorcery] cast minicom wierdo!

sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Sorcery related topics

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Sorcery] cast minicom wierdo!
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:15:47 +0100

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 05:03:23PM +0100, Treeve Jelbert wrote:

> the recent update of libintl shows up a strange problem.
>
> When I ran 'cast -n', it detected that minicom was broken.
>

> However, when I cast minicom, it started to configure, but while checking
> for
> a serial device, there was a lot of disk activity and the system froze. I
> could see a lot of modprobe activity, but was unable to kill the cast or
> capture a screen shot. I had to use the reset button.
>
> Other casts run ok and the system recovered alright.
>
> I am running linux-2.6.3-rc2 with devfsd

My guess is that minicom tries to open a lot of devices that don't exist
to see which serial devices exist, and devfsd tries to load a module for
every one of those accesses.
Possible solutions:
a) fix minicom to not check for serial devices, instead give it a fixed
list of devices
b) don't run devfsd ;)

This is one of the "features" of devfs that led to its deprecation
afaik.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video