sm-sorcery - [SM-Sorcery] Addition to sorcery / DETAILS

sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Sorcery related topics

  • From: Mike Sylvester <psyber AT attglobal.net>
  • To: sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Sorcery] Addition to sorcery / DETAILS
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:38:26 -0600

First time posting, so apologies if this is already out there

I've been using sourcemage now for a few months and I love it, nest
distro i've ever had, anyways to the point.

The one thing that annoyed me is that a system rebuild seems to depend
more on when the spells were installed and not the proper compile order,
what I propose may not be vary easy but I think will make the distro
much stronger as a whole.

::Order based compilation::
A system by which each program would be given a compile time order
number to ensure that a rebuild actually does them in order, system
works as follows

Levels:
Level 1 - Main progs (gcc, glibc, linux, etc...)

Level 2 - "Useful Profile" type applications. useful, standard but not
necessary (portmap, courier, apache)

Level 3 - Graphical Environment (XFree86/Xouvert, graphics drivers,
Gnome KDE)

Level 4 - Desktop Programs (Evolution, Mozilla, Office,...)

Sublevels:
a - libraries (nss/nspr)

b - base programs (mozilla) programs that use the libraries [a]

c - top level programs - (epiphany) programs that require other programs

Order Number:
0 - 99 or 999
actual order within L & sL for compilation

::DETAILS FILE ADDIN::
Level = (1,2,3,4)
sLevel = (a,b,c)
order = (0-999)

max of 12,000 programs =)

as for the test codex spells and/or custom spels could be added as the
same L, sL, & O for testing purposes, order then falls back on
alphabetical order.

With this in place level based rebuilds (partial) would be feesable
i.e. Level 4 rebuild - only desktop progs, Level 3 rebuild - graphical
env + level 4 and so on. the system rebuild command would be equal to a
level 1 rebuild.

now that I've layed out the idea I will tell you I'm by no means an
expert programmer or even a good sysadmin but I can spout out ideas all
day long so any help/feedback would be appreciated

::Psyber::