sm-sorcery - Re: [SM-Sorcery] Update Options . . .

sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Sorcery related topics

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Sorcery] Update Options . . .
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:52:05 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Eric Sandall wrote:

> Quoting Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>:
> > I have essentially the same problem here, a number of machines (servers
> > and soon to be workstations) all running SourceMage, but the automated
> > updates scare me! I submitted a proposal to sm-discuss a few months ago on
> > how a binary packaging system could be used to abstract the building to a
> > single machine, offering a test bed before pushing tested binaries out to
> > the production machines.
> >
> > I've got the utility for doing this almost finished. It allows you to
> > create any number of grimoires and add spells to them based on the running
> > system. Running 'binery update' updates the spells in these grimoires to
> > match the versions installed on the local machine and generates a binary
> > package for each updated spell. This grimoire can then be used on any
> > other machine just as any source based grimoire would be used.
> >
> > If your interested in having a look drop me a note. I'm hoping to get it
> > tested over the next few days. If all goes well, I'll throw together some
> > docs and a spell for it and announce it on sm-discuss.
> >

> > -casey
>
> That would certainly be handy for mass installs of SMGL.
>
> -sandalle

That's what I'm hoping! :-) There is one downside to this, I need to build
for the lowest common denominator hardware. I'm going to be using i686 for
my first network install next weekend (assuming everything goes right this
week). It does however allow me to reap all of the other benefits of a
source based distro, with some added control. I can mix and match spells
from various grimoires. Running a 'binery update' propagates all updates
into the binary grimoire.

It could even be useful in the normal installation process. A binary
grimoire could be created and included on the iso which the intial
binaries are installed from. Only sorcery, tar, bzip and some other basic
sorcery requirements should be necessary for casting spells from the
binary grimoire. This would make selectively installing things like
rp-pppoe, ppp, *fsprogs, pcmcia_cs, etc trivial.

Back to work...

-casey