sm-sorcery - Re: [SM-Sorcery] Liblock

sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Sorcery related topics

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Geoffrey Derber <gderber AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-sorcery <sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Sorcery] Liblock
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 04:50:17 -0000

The check before was done differently, it can't (or shouldn't) be done
the same way now. I did it before because I though it was natural;
however in hindsight, it was probably not a good idea.

One other detail, I really have no idea how much it would slow things
down by. My guess is that it will have a small impact, perhaps with 10
levels deep, in 30 locks and unlocks it might take an extra second...
but that is a wild guess and is totally unsupported by any kind of
testing.

So I guess what I should ask is, is this behaviour desired/normal? I
really have no idea what the norm is for locking in multi threaded apps,
and I'd prefer the expected behaviour to match the actual.