sm-sorcery - [SM-Sorcery]cpu detect for cauldron

sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Sorcery related topics

  • From: Mark Andrews <msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com>
  • To: sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Sorcery]cpu detect for cauldron
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:37:59 +0000

Hello All,

Who is working on cauldron? I know things are feature frozen, but it
occured to me that a cut down version of my cpu detection stuff would
be a nice thing to have to preset the architecture before hitting the
menus. This way the implementation is seamless and the user can
immediately change to their favourite processor settings if they don't
want to use the Athlon stuff etc.

I will have a few hours free this weekend so if you want this
to happen then, please let me know in the next day or two. Otherwise
I'll wait for 1.0 before worrying about it ;-)

Options for implementation are:

1) put it in cauldron code and set the config vars directly.
2) seperate script called from cauldron to set the config vars
directly.
3) do a quick version of skry (which is now assigned for the
hardware detect stuff rather than menus) that cauldron can call to
get the appropriate settings.

With option 3, I'm thinking skry should be a holder for subscripts to
allow future expansion so the command would be something like:

skry cpu -a (returns detected architecture)
skry cpu -m (returns detected cpu model)
skry cpu -c (returns detected cpu count)
skry cpu -n (returns long cpu name for menus/display)
skry cpu (returns recommended SourceMage arch setting)

Where skry calls a script called cpu and passes the options to it.
This would need a little more integration than options 1 or 2 but
better allows for whatever the future may bring.

--
Best regards,
Mark mailto:msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com

  • [SM-Sorcery]cpu detect for cauldron, Mark Andrews, 12/03/2002