sm-sorcery - Re: [SM-Sorcery]blocking notification

sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Sorcery related topics

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Cc: sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Sorcery]blocking notification
  • Date: 01 Dec 2002 15:57:50 -0500

Nope, this cannot be done. At least, not with the time limit. You can
always set the scripts you output a debug log and check that. It is
possible to check to see if a resource is already locked before trying
to lock it, and if it is then write a message; however, that would slow
things down considerably. It might be possible to get something working
though.

It blocks there because only one program should be installing at a time.
That was a small bug, it wouldn't release the installing lock. It is
fixed.

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 13:12, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to print out a warning "blocking on access to <resource
> name>" if the lock_* code is taking more than, say, ten seconds? At
> least the user would know (and be able to identify on the bug report)
> where his sorcery command is "hanging"?
> Right now, one my console is in the middle of `sorcery system-update'
> downloading kernel parts, and in the other I tried to cast a very
> interesting new spell `sloccount'. The spell compiled OK, but after
> saying "Preparing to install sloccount" it does seemingly nothing. I
> guess it's blocking on something. Apart from a question why is it
> blocking here and now, I think it would be great to know what exactly it
> is blocking.
> What do you think?
>
> Sergey.

> Get free mailbox 20 Mb at http://www.hotbox.ru