sm-sorcery - [SM-Sorcery]questions about advanced file manipulation with bash/unix tools.

sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Sorcery related topics

  • From: "Nicholas K. Jennings" <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • To: sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Sorcery]questions about advanced file manipulation with bash/unix tools.
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:23:25 -0700

Hi all,

I have some questions about how to go about doing some advanced file
editing with bash script and the standard unix tools. Everytime I
think about how to go about things I get caught up in the perl way
to do it :)

What I'd like to do is, edit a file, search for a section in that
file, remove the whole section (several lines), which means being
able to determin when the section starts, and ends (character
recognition/regexp?). Then replace that section (in the same
location) with generated content that I would have already
generated to replace it.

What tools would be needed to go about doing this? Any pointers,
tips, examples etc. would be greatly appreciated.

--
Nicholas K. Jennings | nkj AT namodn.com
SourceMage GNU/Linux | www.sourcemage.org