sm-security - [SM-Security] Security update: proftpd

sm-security AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Security bugs are reported here via bugzilla

  • From: Justin Rocha <jrocha AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Security <sm-security AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Security] Security update: proftpd
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:17:25 -0700

There has been a remote root exploit discovered in proftpd.

The spell has been updated in test and devel. sandalle, feel free to
pull the update into stable.

Someone else feel free to write the news article once it gets into
stable. :)

Here are the changes:

SPELL=proftpd
VERSION=1.2.9rc2p
SOURCE=$SPELL-$VERSION.tar.bz2
SOURCE_DIRECTORY=$BUILD_DIRECTORY/${SPELL}-1.2.9rc2
SOURCE_URL[0]=ftp://ftp.proftpd.org/distrib/source/$SOURCE
MD5[0]='4be3c1f723fb7abca875304166cf4acd'

The SOURCE_DIRECTORY needs to be changed because it doesn't unpack with
a 'p' at the end, and I went ahead and switched to the tar.bz2 over the
tar.gz. The md5 should be correct, but feel free to verify it.

Additionally, I've just noticed that the init script will fail on stop.
I don't have time to look at it right now, but I will later if someone
else doesn't get to it first.
--
Justin Rocha
-Xenith || jrocha AT sourcemage.org || http://xenith.org/