sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [RFC] Faster checksums with b2sum

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [RFC] Faster checksums with b2sum
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 07:51:30 +0200

Am Sat, 15 Jul 2017 15:56:04 -0300
schrieb Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>:

> b2sum is a tool that computes 512-bit BLAKE2b digests of files,
> a much faster and equally secure alternative to sha512sum.

Hm, sure that it's secure? ;-)

> I'm going to implement support for it in sorcery, and I would like
> to make it the default (depending on either implementation).

I see a maximum speedup of about 2. This might be interesting for
various applications, but I do not see much point in using it as
default for spell sources. The time spent verifying those is not long
and there's value in agreeing on some standard to possibly compare with
others.

But sorcery's md5sum logs for cleanse … yeah, replacing that with a
more secure and about as fast checksum would be nice. Did you have that
in mind? We also could think about compressing /var/log/sorcery/b2sum,
then, which would help a bit to avoid storage overhead compared to
md5sum. Of course, it is mostly the file path that compresses well …

[0] http://git.iodev.co.uk/ismael/smgl/b2sum.git/

How does it compare to the coreutils variant? And … how do you name it
to be installed alongside the full-featured coreutils build (with
checking mode)?

Alrighty then,

Thomas