sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] NEW: Encrypted swap device support [init.d 2.2.15]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] NEW: Encrypted swap device support [init.d 2.2.15]
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:43:42 -0300

Just a while ago I merged the changes required to support swap devices
encrypted with temporary keys, using XTS with AES-128.

Currently there's no way to change key size nor any other parameter,
but support will be added in the future.

To enable it, you just specify swap devices in /etc/crypttab, instead
of fstab, and add a third column with the word "swap":

<device> <name> swap

I recommend using /dev/disk/by-id/* (preferably wwn-*), as there's
currently no safeguards against overwritting a filesystem. A header
may be added later to enable such safeguards and auto-detection
(thus allowing to specify it just like a standard swap device).

Additionally, for non-swap devices, now other encryption schemes
besides the default "luks" are supported, by specifying them in the
third column.