sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] About libpng-1.6 migration

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] About libpng-1.6 migration
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 19:58:58 +0100

Hi,

just one note after converting my last install to the current
libpng-1.6: There is always lots of fallout. Even after dealing with
the true issues about cyclic stuff depending on each other and on
differing versions of libpng, a large part of breakage results out of
libtool files mentioning -lpng12 and leading spells needlessly to link
that in together with -lpng or -lpng16. Yep, you might get binaries
depending on _both_ PNG libs, even if they actually don't. That is
happily prevented by libtool bailing out during the final linking stage
since it of course cannot find a -lpng12 to link to.

My solution, to get on track after multiple frustrating attempts to
rebuild stuff and cursing because -lpng12 crops up again and again, was
to finally just delete all .la files that contained png12 in them.
After all, for dynamic linking, we don't need them. Then one can try to
recast all that stuff and hope that libpng12 is gone for good some time.

That's actually an argument not to provide a compatibility spell with a
libpng12.so. You'd end up with binaries actually being linked to both
libs (which probably will also fail … or it even might succeed!).

Maybe we can offer some help to users trying to upgrade from the last
stable grimoire … a script that tells the user which spells

a) have binaries installed that still link to libpng12
b) have .la files mentioning -lpng12

Those should be queued and recast in most likely many iterations
because things break depening subtly on order, until no traces are left
of the old lib. Perhaps this needs to be something to go along with
cleanse, only more brutal. Exorcise.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: Part of the fallout of updating things is that now my user is not
allowed to access /dev/dri/card0 anymore. Some udev rules got lost … ?