sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] KDE5 breakage around phonon4qt5

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] KDE5 breakage around phonon4qt5
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 09:18:56 +0100

Hi all,

Preface: Thanks to Treeve for doing that work on KDE5 spells at all. I
don't blame him for things breaking (here;-), as it's simply a
nightmare to begin with.

I'm trying to install kdenlive after realising that avidemux3, even
after updating it to 2.6.11 (will push sometime), always crashes on
that VHS conversion project I have with funny invalid memory references
all around (actually ran it in valgrind). It's so sad how the great
idea of ripping off what VirtualDub is for Windows results in crashes
all the time, year after year. With Kdenlive, I have the hope that the
final rendering with MLT is stable at least.

Anyhow: The issue I have is that Kdenlive depends on a shitload of
spells from KDE5 and that's why I'm apparenlty building a complete KDE
to go with it. I see dependencies missing (stuff wants qttools and
qtdeclarative (or qtquick1?!) and fails to mention it in DEPENDS … not
sure if I get the list again, as all the errors get buried in the
week-long attempt to simply get one application running).

Now … apart from missing dependencies, the real stumbling block now is
that I seem required to build phonon4qt5. It's marked as optional
dependency everywhere, but knotifications gives me the finger about it
missing. Now, when I try to build phonon4qt5, it messes up -fPIC,
apparently. There is a patch for that in the git repo, said to fix
build with newer qt5 (which seems to be the core issue?) but applying
it doesn't help. Maybe it depends on other stuff in the repo.

Hm, I'm trying that one now

https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=phonon.git&a=commitdiff&h=635b65fa417f49ac4ae189e926bf138efc6544d6

. But I wonder: There wasn't a release of phonon since mid last year
(eons in the CADT-development world) and I wonder if trying to fix it
has any sense at all, since I read such stuff as

http://marc.info/?t=143817914700002&r=1&w=2

. So KDE folks are already sick of their shiny new multimedia
framework? And the Qt5 stuff is even worse? Let's switch to something
new! So, perhaps Treeve can enlighten me: Where is this going, is
Phonon dying? Is there a big KDE update without it in the pipeline?

I'll push my fix if it works … meanwhile, in case I don't manage to
detail what I had to fix up on the way, the short list:

- Some stuff needs qttools and something providing declarative Qt stuff
but fails to mention it in DEPENDS.
- Phonon is _not_ optional everywhere. At least for knotifications.
- Qtbase does not run ldconfig after adding qt5 lib dir, also adds it
at the wrong place (PRE_BUILD).

What I've seen should be pretty straightforward when starting on a
system without any Qt5, casting kdenlive and accepting all defaults
(except perhaps trying to disable phonon for the non-optional cases).
This is perhaps a nice alternative way to trigger the dependency chain
of KDE5 stuff instead of just trying to build the whole KDE5 desktop.

Alrighty then,

Thomas