sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Some Server Migration Progress!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Some Server Migration Progress!
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 17:24:49 -0600

On 02/09/2016 01:28 AM, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Am Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:47:16 -0600
> schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:
>
>> Well, we can work that out eventually :) I know there are ways to
>> improve performance, the PHP spell is the first one to start with.
>
> Hm, I idly tried to update it to 5.6.18 as current stable … can we just
> push it to 7.x? There are some incompatibilities … but then, who cares?

I think it'll be fine to go to 7.x We can check on mediawiki's site to
see if they're not compatible.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Compatibility#PHP
They don't talk about 7 at all.

http://wptavern.com/hhvm-demonstrated-to-be-18-7-faster-than-php-7-on-a-wordpress-workload
This talks about mediawiki running php7, and that HHVM is faster, heh.
So that probably at the least means it works in php7. Perhaps we can
discuss about HHVM later.

> Cannot build it right now as apparently system components are too old
> here. I need to setup chroots for this stuff … or rather VMs, probably.
> I just pushed the update anyway. At least we don't have the
> known-outdated 5.6 with whatever security bugs.
>
> I need icu update and that will take out my laptop for a day at least …
> crapload of stuff that needs recasting. Oh, dear, including really
> heavyweight stuff. What was he benefit of shared libs again? No need to
> rebuild things on updates?
>
>> Then
>> we can work out datacenter issues, or moving it to a different server,
>> if this one is too network busy to handle it.
>
> Unless the website runs on an RPi that is transcoding h264 video
> _in_software_ at the same time, I don't understand these response times. It
> would surprise me if the hardware is to blame.

I'll poke Jermey about it, perhaps it's just because we're using less
than optimal software at the moment, or perhaps it's because the box is
also doing all the SCM stuff as well. As mentioned previously, there's a
separate box for the stuff Stealth was doing that's ready to be used,
but if we don't make progress there, we can still use it for these
things. It won't be hard to migrate between two distro owned hardware
components.

>> I'm reasonably confident the site is open to registration
>
> Yes, I was able to register an account. I wonder if Stealth left open
> some way of registration. For now I grabbed a wget mirror of the pages
> and am considering parsing of the hatta HTML output and output as
> Mediawiki syntax by some scripting. Parsing generated markup should be
> easy … as it's supposed to be consistent.

I didn't find any obvious way to register on the site itself, and I
didn't find any instructions in previous emails. Clicking links to
login/edit take me to an HTTP Basic Auth that just says "Restricted."

> About the bug tracker: I really don't mind much anymore if old bugs are
> transferred or not. Having a historic bugzilla instance to browse if
> one wants to look up an old bug should be fine. The new install
> probably really should start freshly, with bug numbers starting high so
> that they are not confused with the old bugs.

That's a good point. we could run two bugzillas, one that's read only
for the old data. That probably wouldn't be too difficult to do. As I've
said, I'm also willing to write some software to port the bugs that we
want to keep (sorcery bugs, at the least.)