sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] usbutils, udev, eudev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] usbutils, udev, eudev
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:36:11 +0100

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 21:16:50 +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Hi,

I guess it's time for me to switch to eudev. The final notice is
usbutils being updated to 008 since some time now and this being
incompatible with the old udev version we keep in the grimoire.

So, the

depends DEVICE-MANAGER

for usbutils practically is

depends eudev

. Well, that might be fine. But we need to decide what to do with the
udev spell. I guess it is superseeded by installing the systemd
mothership, or at least digging it out of it. As long as that is not in
sight … should be remove the spell? Replace by eudev properly?

The udev spell is becoming largely useles if stuff depends on fresh
editions.

I have been using eudev for about 2 years, no problems.
Since eudev is created upstream using selected patches from systemd, I would not recommend duplciating the effort.

On the other hand, more things expect to find systemd itself and not all of their features work wwithout it.

I think that we will need to bite the bullet and have an uptodate systemd spell which provides DEVICE-MANAGER and other things, such as LOGIM-MANAGER and INIT-MANAGER.

Of course, that means converting all the init scripts.

If we don't do this, a large number of our spells will become irrelevant.

Regards, Treeve

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: Meh, keeping stable URLs really is an outdated sport. I see that the
eudev website is gone, instead there is
https://github.com/gentoo/eudev . Even gentoo people are not hosting
their own stuff anymore?!