sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel-merge-kde4+plasma5+kde5 branch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel-merge-kde4+plasma5+kde5 branch
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 23:34:11 +0200

Am Thu, 30 Apr 2015 13:28:53 +0200
schrieb Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:

> I plan to do frequent merges from master and hope that somebody else
> can make any needed tweaks for qt4/kde4.

I need to have a look, also for merging 4.14 stuff if you didn't
include that.

But the reason I'm writing now: Please watch out for upcoming commits
in master that add sub dependencies to gcc for stuff that depends on
QT, among that kde4 and qt5 stuff. I hope that merges without too much
trouble.

It's necessary to make the update trigger for gcc-5.1 work. It only
does cast_self on spells that directly depend on -sub CXX gcc. ALL
spells using C++ are possibly/likely broken by the update because of
C++11 changes.

Note that the DEPENDS changes don't help already installed spells
anyway, all the more reason to wait with gcc-5.1 for some stable cycles
so that we reasonably can expect the dependency to gcc being recorded
in the tablet. I must admit that I also thought that a direct
dependency on CXX is not needed. I didn't think about another g++ ABI
change coming:-/

There are likely still a lot of spells that do not depend on CXX. I
encourage everyone to check installed spells for any linkage to
libstdc++ and add depends -sub CXX gcc in that case.

This can't really be carried out using indirect dependencies. A spell
depending on another spell that needs CXX doesn't necessarily need CXX
itself. It's just that way most of the time.

Alrighty then,

Thomas