sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Where's the grimoire?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Where's the grimoire?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:56:52 +0100

What about our plan to get a grimoire release going? Who would do the
relase anyway? I start to think that any attempt to try for a nice
transition, pondering upgrading issues, leads to _nothing_ happening at
all.

What about that:

1. Set up current stable chroot (0.62 was it, right?).
2. Struggle to make it re-build (making sure that stuff is still
available on some mirror, to have the base to go back to).
3. Struggle to upgrade to upcoming stable (master grimoire branch).
4. Simply document the hassles one has to go through, all with
acknowledgement of bugs and workarounds.
5. Release master as stable (stable-rc might be unrealistic, even),
accompanied by massive documentation about upgrading issues. We
should add that to our website, too. Speaking of which, we should
have release notes for every stable grimoire on the website.

I know it's possible to get to a working system with either master or
devel-xorg branch from a stable chroot, because I did it on two
machines. It may take a week, but heck, that's no petting zoo, that's
Source Mage.

My main point is that with all those high goals of getting things
right, we end up doing nothing at all. This is not acceptable, as even
the master branch is seriously outdated in parts.

I'm also pondering releasing multiple "stable" grimoires at the same
time, just to give a not-too-jumpy path from current stable to
devel-xorg + devel+png, etc. Or, at least release them in fast
succession after merging things. We need to get to halfway current gcc,
xorg and libpng and whatnot without discussing things for another year.
Upgrading Source Mage is always a pain (at least never was painless for
me). That's why you can choose to keep your old grimoire and even fix
stuff locally if needed ...

If we could agree on a fast-track, I'd volunteer to do the testing +
documenting procedure above on a x86-64 chroot. I might even do it on a
real machine including Xorg with video driver (nouveau, radeon ... or a
laptop with intel). I don't know jack about our actual release process,
so that should be done by someone else (Vlad?).

Opinions?

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: I might need to still get some stuff pushed to devel-xorg from the
machines I got working ... time to sort out that mess.

PPS: Of course, I'd still love to see that sorcery rebuild issue gone,
*lynx-poke*.