sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Starting another fallback mirror

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Starting another fallback mirror
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 03:40:07 +0200

Hi folks,

disgustet at the swift removal of sources from official sites that
needlessly breaks Source Mage even without actual issues that we also
got plenty supply of, I now set up another source archive mirror:

FALLBACK_URL_MIRROR[0]="http://mirror.sobukus.de/src";

I intend to collect as many source archives as possible and to keep
them as long as possible. I got the best part of 3 TiB disk space
reserved for that and expect moderate load (the line will be capped by
the hoster instead of increasing my invoice on the occasion of too much
usage).

For now, I pushed the /var/spool/sorcery contents from the machines at
hand. I intend to fill the mirror with some history, too. For that I'll
figure out some scripting to also fetch old versions automatically. For
now there's only the rudimentary idea of having per-project directories
with an url.txt* in there with lines along that (tab-separated):

mpg123-0.59r.tar.gz http://mpg123.org/download/mpg123-0.59r.tar.gz
mpg123-1.0.0.tar.bz2 http://mpg123.org/download/mpg123-1.0.0.tar.bz2
mpg123-1.0.0.tar.bz2.sig
http://mpg123.org/download/mpg123-1.0.0.tar.bz2.sig
mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2 http://mpg123.org/download/mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2
mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2.sig
http://mpg123.org/download/mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2.sig

These URL lists and the project directories they reside in can get some
automatic population from the Source Mage grimpoire I suppose. Perhaps
someone would like to come forward with one of the existing approaches
to that end (I know I would not be the first one to script that).

Anyhow, the mirror does some mapping to the actual paths with
subdirectories, so that all you need is the file name itself,
supposedly unique.

Apart from any proper process ... feel free to send me file URLs to be
added to the mirror. I guess I can take the load from the modest SMGL
team myself without having to set up an upload form with captcha or the
like;-) Of course, I'd like to see some kind of automation that makes
sure that on push of a spell upgrade, the corresponding source is being
distributed to the Source Mage fallback mirrors. It really doesn't fly
anymore in this age to rely on upstream.

Just as an example:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/gnome-systemd/basicnet/whois.html

You won't have fun with the current BLFS edition from August: The
advertised whois version is already gone!

Alrighty then,

Thomas Orgis

PS: The value of the urls.txt needs to be reconsidered, perhaps ... in
case _most_ sources are still available upstream, they allow
re-population of a mirror from scratch ... partially, for the files
where it is not needed. But they always provide a starting point to
look for the next version. I could also just put DETAILS files in
there ... minus the dynamic versioning hacks we have in some.

  • [SM-Discuss] Starting another fallback mirror, Thomas Orgis, 08/30/2014