sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] calibre failing to cast, when cast is done from a dir not owned by root.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] calibre failing to cast, when cast is done from a dir not owned by root.
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 15:48:54 -0600

> Well, I was mistaken in the sense that the spell even though casts OK,
> it's broken, and such broken state should have been detected whether
> on BUILD or INSTALL. The compile log indicates:
>
> ____________________ WARNING ____________________
> Setting up completion failed with error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/sorcery/src/calibre/src/calibre/linux.py", line 223,
> in setup_completion
> from calibre.gui2.lrf_renderer.main import option_parser as
> lrfviewerop
> File
> "/home/sorcery/src/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/lrf_renderer/main.py",
> line 13, in <module>
> from calibre.gui2.dialogs.conversion_error import
> ConversionErrorDialog
> File
> "/home/sorcery/src/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/dialogs/conversion_error.py",
> line 5, in <module>
> from calibre.gui2.dialogs.conversion_error_ui import
> Ui_ConversionErrorDialog
> File
> "/home/sorcery/src/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/dialogs/conversion_error_ui.py",
> line 21
> return _("ERROR"))
> ^

Well, this goes away if upgrading to latest 0.9.25.

However 0.9.25 depends upon having qt4 private headers available (not
considered a bug by upstream, and not to be solved on calibre, see
[1]), which are not on SMGL. I believe the best solution would be to
have an option doing it on the qt4 spell itself, but as I didn't want
to re-compile qt4, I just created an additional spell called
qt4-private-headers...

With that, and NOT using the patch for phone home, which is broken
now, since having a function definition without content is not now
allowed (see [2]), I got calibre 0.9.25 running... Notice the patch
can be fixed to add indented comments like:

"""
"""

And that makes the the patch work... There are still some errors,
that seem not to inhibit calibre to run:

Exception in thread Thread-8:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 551, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/mdns.py", line 42, in run
_all_ip_addresses = self.get_all_ips()
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/mdns.py", line 23, in get_all_ips
import netifaces
ImportError: No module named netifaces

So I believe they don't require special attention, :-)

Thanks,

Javier.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1094719
[2]