sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] chroot and wine story

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] chroot and wine story
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:43:47 +0100

I was running my system as linux64 on a five year old PC. I also had a an old linux32 and winxp partitions, as I need to run one Windows application. At first I would boot winxp, but then started to boot linux32 and use wine. Finally I set it up so that I could chroot from linux64 into linux32 and then run wine.

I recently built a new system. The old PC was AMD A4200 2-core 4gb 800MHz DDR2 RAM.
The new box is AMD A10-5700 4-core 8gb 1333MHz DDR3 RAM + 120GB SSD.

I soon got the linux64 system up and running and wine still worked.

However, eventually I encountered some problems which I suspected were because of the old version of wine and upgraded to the latest version. This solved most of my problems.

The winxp partition would probably not boot because of hardware changes.

Since the linux32 partition had not been updated for two years, it would not boot on the new hardware, so I decided to rebuild everything to the latest versions by running sorcery in a chroot. I also removed everything which was not relevant, such as QT4, KDE4, GTK+2. It turned out that xorg-server and all the fonts were not needed either. I also removed the linux kernel from it as I do not need to boot it.

The only major problems I encountered were with openssl and LLVM, both of which tried to build 64-bit code in the 32-bit chroot. Everything else, including gcc-4.6.3 and glibc-2.17 built successfully in the chroot. I decided that I did not need llvm or mesalib either. I am not sure whether to remove openssl.

I finally have a stripped down system, which is 1.8GB against 6GB for my normal system. 215 against 652 spells.

Using wine entailed several steps:
1. su root
2. chroot
3. su me
4. wine

This was annoying, so eventually managed to setup schroot and can use a single command.

The one remaining step is to write a desktop file, so that someone else could click on a menu item and start wine directly.

I hope that someone finds this of interest.

Regards, Treeve