Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What's the state of xorg branch?

sm-discuss AT

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

List archive

Chronological Thread  
  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT>
  • To: sm-discuss AT
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What's the state of xorg branch?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 13:58:07 -0400

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT> wrote:
> Hi,
> the intel driver just crashed on me thus gave a reminder about the current
> version being 2.20.0, not 2.14.0 . As always, there is the hope that the
> newer version is less crash-happy than the old one (hey --- I'm now down to
> crashes of Xorg instead of GPU freezes, yay!).
> Now, the new version wants a slightly fresher graphics stack, most
> importantly xorg-server 1.10 . How is the state of our xorg devel branch?
> Wouldn't it be time to get off xorg-server 1.8?
> I guess should just switch to that branch ... but perhaps merging is near?
> Alrighty then,
> Thomas

AFAIK, the main issue is that the libpthread-stubs update requires a
lot of spells to be recast, but they are not all covered by

I'm currently working on that. I just got all of KDE to build earlier
this week. I want to to try and get a bunch of it done this weekend
since I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks starting Monday. I should
probably test gnome's libs out as well though, but enough of those
spells are broken as well that I need to get around to fixing them. I
do already have a good idea what is needed to get spells that depend
on gtk working again, since made a list when I switched my main box
over to devel-xorg. But, I need to double check them, since I was
randomly recasting spells to keep track of what fixes what. I really
want to get this down ASAP so I can start on other things.

If you don't want to be randomly recasting a bunch of spells, I
suggest waiting if possible. cleanse --fix will find most spells that
need recasting, but not all of them ime.

But then again, as David stated, it may be a while before it gets
merged in master.

I'll make some master bugs later today for the various branches that I
am aware of, so we can keep better track of this stuff. I've been
meaning to do that for the past week.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM, David Kowis <dkowis AT> wrote:
> What is the necessary criteria for merging?
> Works on 10 peoples graphics cards?
> A successful upgrade path?
> It's probably not feasible to get all the graphics drivers tested.
> I'd like for someone with experience in the X branch to come up with a
> list of criteria, maybe search the list history for issues people have
> had upgrading, and then build a test plan, or a checklist to verify that
> we won't have these issues on this upgrade.
> Then once that passes, we'll merge it. Sound good?

Thank you for this post. I was going to ask the same questions after I
made the bug reports.

Can someone do this for glibc as well?
AFAIK, no one who's tested it has had any major issues. It's much more
stable than glibc 2.15 for me after I applied the patches I added to
the spell.
This is a major spell, so it should be tested better, but I think that
pretty much anyone who is willing to test out the branch has already
done so.

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.24.

Top of Page