sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Shut down bugzilla

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Shut down bugzilla
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:41:49 -0500

On 07/08/2012 05:59 PM, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> On Sunday 08 of July 2012 14:00:43 David Kowis wrote:
>> Background:
>> We've got a large amount of changesets in our chiliproject database,
>> probably more than anyone has ever put into chiliproject. The grimoire
>> is huge.
>>
>> This is bringing mysql to it's knees quite often with poorly optimized
>> queries that are touching 45,000 rows, but limited to only the first one
>> anyway. MySQL is spending most of it's CPU time sorting those rows, even
>> with indexes and such.
>>
>> I'd like to move away from mysql into postgresql. I can relatively
>> easily export the data using a rails plugin[1], or I can try something a
>> bit different using an application called taps[2].
> Is there any concrete data indicating this will improve overall
> performance?
> So much we won't have a problem next year? Next two? Sloppy queries can
> bring
> any large database to its knees. Perhaps we need to think up other
> mitigating
> measures too.
>
> Also, are we on latest chilli? Maybe they optimised it in the meanwhile.

The knee bringing wasn't the query, it was that MySQL didn't like that
we had a leapsecond a few days ago, and as soon as I manually set the
date using something like: date -s "`date" (heh) MySQL quit abusing the
CPU and behaved normally again.

There are still some less than optimal parts about chiliproject,
especially their git viewing stuff for our really big repos.

>> Taps might work for converting the bugzilla database to postgres, since
>> postgres now supports bugzilla. We could then keep bugzilla around, but
>> do we need to? I can archive off the database, and the application, and
>> shut it down.
> It still contains a lot of useful info, even if just for historical
> purposes.
> Which is not the case for sorcery and maybe cauldron, since there was no
> migration and the bugs and feature requests are much less transient than
> those
> of the grimoire. So I'm all for preserving it, even if the backend changes.
>
> As it is hardly used by those who don't know it exists — or at all, I doubt
> it
> adds much to the server load. Disable indexing if robots still crawl over
> it.

The reasoning for converting it is so that we won't have to run two
databases. If I can't convert bugzilla to postgres, we'd have to run
both postgres and mysql, and I'd rather avoid that. This is why I put
chiliproject on mysql anyway to begin with.

David