sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-archspecs 0.8.3 released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-archspecs 0.8.3 released
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 22:13:01 +0200

Am Fri, 15 Jun 2012 23:45:18 +0400
schrieb Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>:

> > Right, but most libs compile with PIC flags when needed.
>
> The difference is: when we add PIC flags to archspecs -- we auto-avoid
> some bugs in autoconf/automake stuff even for fresh spells and reduce
> total number of compiling problems therefore.

I see that point, but I also see the point that PIC adds needless overhead to
_all_ binaries, not just shared libs. Perhaps there should be a user option
to force PIC on x86-64 ... or should we take a vote on that?

I must admit that I reduced optimiztation in my flags a long time ago since
there is just too much time spent in compiling ... I guess I won't notice any
difference due to PIC (and where performance really matters for me, that's my
Fortran OpenMP* code where the Intel compiler beats anything on the block in
any case).

Alrighty then,

Thomas

* OpenMP sucks. Do. Not. Use. It.