sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] BTRFS: Migration Report

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] BTRFS: Migration Report
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 15:12:09 -0400

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> I think newer version of Gparted
> support brtfs (the annoying part of it is that always forces
> filesystem checks, and it's not a good idea in this case...).

I have used gparted (probably 0.12.1) to successfully create a btrfs
partition. I can't remember if it forced a check, but gparted does
support btrfsck.

>Also, remember there's no fsck.brtfs (btrfsck is not production-ready),
>so you need to disable checking or provide a replacement for
>fsck.brtfs.

btrfs-tools does provide btrfsck, but it definitely isn't tested
enough to be production-ready.

> Looks like it behaves pretty well with small files. I'm not sure
> about big ones. Also I have concerns about filesystem images,
> databases, etc.

You should look into btrfs snapshots. I have no idea if will do what
you want it to, but it is very useful and pretty awesome. It's great
for test chroots.

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Paul Vinogradov <vin.public AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for such valuable description. What kernel version do you use? Does
> grub2 support it fully? With /boot on btrfs?

It does if you run the bzr version or patch it. The last released
version does not AFAIK. I have everything on 1 btrfs partition for my
laptop with Archlinux (they use a snapshot from bzr) and it seems to
work fine. The latest version of Syslinux does support it however.