sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Spell Deprecation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Spell Deprecation
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 17:51:16 -0400

Can someone please outline the proper procedure to deprecate spells
(and possibly post it on the wiki)?

>From my understanding (by examining previous spells), you completely
remove the spell if there is no direct replacement for it.
If there is, you add an up_trigger to cast its replacement and an
up_trigger to dispel_self, replace the contents of PRE_BUILD, BUILD,
and INSTALL with true, comment out the SOURCE info in DETAILS, and
remove any remaining files (other than HISTORY). Is that correct?

In case anyone is wondering, I want to deprecate howl (it currently
fails to build and is long dead) and replace any current depends on it
with -sub COMPAT_HOWL avahi.