sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Unified Xen Spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Unified Xen Spell
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:29:05 +0400

Thank you, David.

I've just finished my work on bringing up Xeon sandbox for a virtual
farm, and committed update into test grimoire.

This work is based mostly on my previous init-scripting experience with
spells like drbd, ocfs2-tools and iscsi stuff. I've also stolen a few
bits from Arjan's spell he posted here recently :) And of course I
checked many distros to see how it's done there and got several ideas
from them too.

It took me some time to learn and understand how stuff works, but here
it is. These scripts are minimal, without spaghetti of shell code and
pretty easy to read and understand line-by-line.

Primary aim was simple: to make it work in our distro while keeping it
as meant to be running by upstream.

I've split the logic into 2 parts: hypervizor and domains. xencommons
script was merged into xend one (as in upstream init script terms)
which takes care about /proc, needed daemons, etc. to prepare the
userland. Then it runs xend itself. xend provides xend provider :)
which can be used by another script that depends on it -- xendomains
script -- which starts/stops domUs.

xend init script and its config are completely finished. xendomains --
isn't, It's just the 1st draft on the way. By now it only checks
userspace stuff and runs domains in auto dir (which is configured
in /etc/sysconfig/xendomains config file) and stops them. The script
still can't save/restore/migrate/etc. domains like the upstream one,
but it's WIP and all these "features" are in my TODO list.

For this reason I left ability in the spell to keep and install
upstream init scripts (/etc/init.d/xend, /etc/init.d/xencommons and
such) for those, who isn't ready for testing :) feel free to try too.

I've hard-tested it as much as possible: both xend and xendomains work
out of the box and provide information on what's happening on every
stage. comments and fixes are appreciated though.

Once our xendomains init script is 100% finished, those included
in upstream tarball will be dropped to keep our /etc/init.d clean.

The spell itself also might be polished too and it'll be really good to
put FINAL (updated one for 3.0-3.2 kernel though) like in Arjan's spell
for example and/or on our wiki and drop some urls to it to give a user
some basic steps in learning of such a cool technology :).

--
Dont wait to die to find paradise...