sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] fallback mirrors

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] fallback mirrors
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:31:38 -0500

On 09/12/2011 10:01 AM, Bor Kraljič wrote:
> Hellow.
>
> I have been checking source download and verification of spells sources for
> quite a while now. We have 2 master bugs
> (http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/53
> and http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/55) on our issue tracker about that.
>
> But bug http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/176 got my attention. The source
> from
> OUR fallback server failed the verification. (just from one. The other
> mirror
> is OK... Strange).
>
> That how I started to wonder how our fallback mirrors are getting updated?
> And
> how often?
>
> I researched and found http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/fallback/. Our
> fallback mirror. To my surprise it was updated very recently :) Which is
> GOOD!
> However when I looked what files were "last modified" I noticed that there
> are
> SCM sources on our fallback mirrors. Which is totally pointless. As far as
> know sorcery doesn't even look for SCM sources on fallback mirrors.

The SCM sources are there because when someone does a summon of all the
spells in the grimoire, it downloads the SCM sources as well.

> The second problem I see is that sources don't get verified after/before
> are
> put on fallback mirror (as seen on http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/176).
>
> So to sum up the questions:
> * Is there a script for updating fallback mirrors?
Not an official one that I'm aware of.
> - Can we modify/improve it?
Probably. :)
> * How often are fallback updated?
Depends on who's maintaining the fallback. I think I have one that I
keep and then there's the one on dbg, but I don't know how that one is
fired up.
> * How often are old sourced cleaned? (is it automated?)
I haven't cleaned out old source since I set up the mirror after the
last harddrive failure.
> * Why source from spell live (stable source live.2011.07.21.tar.gz or in
> test
> grimoire live.2011.09.02.tar.gz ) ? (Why I am asking about this particular
> spell? Because upstreams removes old source with every version bump leading
> download failures for our spell)

I don't know? I'm not sure I understand the question.

> Answers to those would give me basic understanding of how our fallback
> mirrors
> work.
Our fallback mirrors are semi-unofficial. People volunteered to run
them, since they're supposed to only be used when the primary tanks for
whatever reason.

I had been working on a ruby script to do a bit more parallelization of
the downloads, as well as handling the downloads in a smarter way, for
failures and verification purposes, but I haven't quite finished it yet.

David