sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] GNOME 3

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] GNOME 3
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 01:58:36 +0200

Hi,

imho, GNOME 3 is prepared to be pulled into test grimoire.
Now it is located in devel-gnome-3.0.0 branch [1].
Please test it.

Still there is a question what to do with libs and applications. I
updated for example epiphany, evince or even eog2 in gnome2-libs and
gnome2-apps into 3.0.0. Some developers would prefer to create new
spells epiphany3, evince3 and eog3 and create gnome3-apps section. Imho,
it is only a lot of useless work. Grimoire lead is also against creating
for example spiphany3 spell. Why use epiphany 2.30 when the stable one
is 3.0? If spell names are not changed users can easily update their
boxes by sorcery system-update and we won't have to deprecated old
spells. Personally I would prefer to have only gnome-apps and gnome-libs
sections. Of course, for applications based on gnome2 libraries we will
provide spells for them. For example I have created spells for new 3.0
libraries gnome-desktop3, gtksourceview3, libwnck3 and libunique because
some of my favourite applications still need gnome2-libs. For what other
libs we should create libxxx3 spells and revert libxxx2 in
devel-gnome-3.0.0?

Of course we have to fix DEPENDS files and ..., but I would prefer to do
it after we pull gnome-3.0.0 into test to prevent collisions.

Gnome-shell works for me like a charm. Of course there is a fallback
mode with gnome-panel.

[1]
http://scmweb.sourcemage.org/gitweb.cgi?p=smgl/grimoire.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/devel-gnome-3.0.0

--