sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT delete of devel-emacs in grimoire by Ismael Luceno

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • Cc: sm-commit AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT delete of devel-emacs in grimoire by Ismael Luceno
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:52:13 -0200

El Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:11:38 +0100
Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si> escribió:
<...>
> This command is a bit arcane at first glance… git push
> REMOTENAME :BRANCHNAME. If you look at the advanced push syntax above
> it should make a bit more sense. You are literally telling git “push
> nothing into BRANCHNAME on REMOTENAME”.
<...>

That's exactly what I did. Seems it doesn't let me to delete branches.

Just in case you might ask, yes, I used -f to force the push, otherwise
the commit message would not be appearing... Looks like the mailing
hook is being executed before the one that disallows me to delete the
branch...

I guess the intention of the hook is to disallow non-fast-forward
commits, but it should take this kind of usage into account.

It would be nice if it allowed to push an empty ref _only_ if the branch
is merged into some other branch (makes sense?), to avoid accidental
deletions.

Would that be safe enough? can we implement it?

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT delete of devel-emacs in grimoire by Ismael Luceno, Ismael Luceno, 01/12/2011