sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Current breakages and a call for help

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Current breakages and a call for help
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:30:15 +0100

Excerpts from Eric Sandall's message of Thu Nov 26 19:55:51 +0100 2009:
> I hear people are still being hit by libxcb 1.2 renames shared objects
> and loses the library archive breaking many packages[0] and Migration
> of libblkid.so from e2fsprogs to util-linux breaks mount/boot[1], and
> this in *stable*!
>
> I have tested both on several real boxes and a few VMs and was unable
> to reproduce them before they finally went to stable. Can anyone whom
> is able to reproduce these *please* help fix these bugs? Perhaps they
> only occur if installed from a specific ISO or updated from a specific
> grimoire version? I will try to build a few more VMs as time allows to
> work on these, but my free time is fairly limited these days.
>
> If nothing else, volunteers to help revert these in stable (if Arwed
> approves and doesn't think it's too late) would be greatly appreciated.
> As far as I am aware these are our two main complaints in IRC. If there
> are other serious breakages, please post their bug numbers to the ML
> and request additional help or information.
>
> I would like to see these resolved in one week. In my opinion we may
> want to implement commit freezes when disastrous bugs like these hit
> the grimoire and are not being fixed (yes, I'm guilty of working on
> other commits too ;)).

Forgot about the reversion of those updates. I'm not sure if it's not
too late already. I expect the same issues to happen on downgrade, so
we would instead break all systems that already are on the new versions.
A possible solution to this would be changing the spells to install the
old version if that's what is there, and the new version if that is
already installed. That way already updated systems will continue to
work, and we'd have time to figure out a real solution.
http://www.sourcemage.org