sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Grub2 questions.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Grub2 questions.
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:38:18 +0100

Op donderdag 29-10-2009 om 13:44 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Javier
Vasquez:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering while the test grimoire is still using 1.96 release,
> when 1.97 is there. In my own grimoire 1.97 is working nice.
>
> The other thing is that gub2 comes with gfxterm:
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/gfxterm
>
> Other distributions like archlinux and debian install along with grub2
> the following:
>
> /usr/share/grub/ascii.pf2
> /usr/share/grub/unifont.pf2
>
> They are necessary in order for gfxterm to work. I have under
> /etc/grub.d/05_background a setting to define how to color the menu if
> not gfxterm when no image is found, but when an image is found, then
> use gfxterm only if the fonts are available. Problem is that the
> fonts are not available, :-)
>
> Now, I was looking for ascii or unicode fonts package from test,
> binary, games and z-rejected, and I didn't find any. Do you know what
> aproach I could take in order to generate this fonts? Perhaps I could
> modify the spell so that theres a dependency on some packages, and the
> a install post-process to compile the pf2 ones..
>
> Thanks,

That's because the other distro's generate the fonts for you.
You might want to cast grub2 again and say 'y' to the question
'build and install the grub-mkfont utility?'

With that utility you can generate your own fonts for use with grub.
Feel free to add a spell for your generated fontpack ;)

--
Arjan Bouter

+=======
GPG: 79D4B14E
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
http://www.sourcemage.org
+===