sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:07:12 -0500

Julien ROZO [julien AT rozo.org] wrote:

> quinq AT sourcemage.org a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > last month, a new x86_64 iso has been released but there hasn’t been any
> > feedback (or I missed it).
> > There’s a real need for testing it, as it’s on its way to stable
> > release, but we won’t take it there without more testing.
> > Please take a few minutes to buy a 64b computer, test the iso, and reply
> > to this mail that it’s perfect. ;)
> > We need you!
>
> Here are the issues I've encountered so far :
> - - lilo is compiled without DEVMAPPER support : I've installed the system
> with / on a LVM volume, and lilo refuses to install because of this
> - - the following spells are to install but there is no cache file for
> them in /var/cache/sorcery/ : bin86, netkit-ping, usbutils

I did an install from this last weekend on an early P4 box. I had a few
things I was going to mention as minor bits which sadly I forgot before
I could write this response.

The above LVM issue was a big one. For some reason I couldn't even do a
rebuild of LVM w/out manually pulling a copy of the source file to the
box. None of the mirrors would give it to me. (Probably not an ISO
problem)

One thing we should definitely do before release is upgrade the kernel
to at least the 2.6.28 kernel to use/provide the official ext4 release
code and tools. Otherwise, once you upgrade post-install you can't boot
from the CD anymore for rescue.