sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] DevMeet Followup - "It Works"

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] DevMeet Followup - "It Works"
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 14:50:19 -0500

Well, my plans to be present didn't work out, but I am reading through
the log, and I had a couple of thoughts to share.

On the topic of an itworks flag, What if we extended sorcery to support
an additional DETAIL item that would point at either a command or a
script (maybe with a standardized name) which could be run during
automated testing, and 'itworks' gets set based on the return value from
running that?

For most packages it should be fairly simple to at least try to run the
primary binary, and make sure it doesn't segfault or throw library or
other runtime dependency errors that aren't caught by the casting itself.

If there's no pointer, it's just an unknown, but a hard failure or hard
success at least helps to prioritize issues. And, it shouldn't add too
much additional labor for most spells, and it would be sufficiently
flexible that packages that typically break in a given set of ways can
have tests added to the script for those specific concerns.